With open source large language models taking off in a way that even the big players did not predict, it’s more critical than ever to have open source governance in place. Linux Foundation Europe, while only a year in since its inception, is playing a pivotal role in making this happen.
In this episode, Gabriele Columbro, GM of Linux Foundation Europe and Executive Director of the Fintech Open Source Foundation (FINOS) while at the Open Source Summit (OSS) in Bilbao, Spain, talks about Linux Foundation Europe one year on, their announcements from the Open Source Summit, and the projects they are focusing on.
Key highlights of this video interview are:
- As the GM of Linux Foundation Europe, Columbro talks about his experience at the event and how well it is being received.
- Linux Foundation has played a pivotal role in paving the way for corporate players to start embracing open source. Columbro talks about how the open governance model that the Linux Foundation provides helps to create a level playing field for individuals and corporate contributors.
- Columbro explains the five key themes that they are focusing on during the conference including the critical role of open source in vertical industries, the growth of public sector engagement in open source, how open source has accelerated the democratization and innovation of AI, open source and sustainability, and the importance of open source governance.
- HashiCorp recently announced that it was changing its Terraform license, setting off a firestorm in the community. Columbro tells us that OpenTofu will now become a Linux Foundation project and how the new framework will be beneficial for the future.
- Open Source and AI continues to be a hot topic with open source large language models (LLMs) accelerating faster than anyone predicted. Columbro talks about the new LF AI & Data Foundation called Generative AI Commons. He discusses the contribution of the first large language model to the foundation under the Generative AI Commons foundation.
- One year after Linux Foundation Europe was announced, Columbro provides us with an update telling us they now have over 150 members and that they have been showcasing the four projects that they launched in the last year. He goes into depth about the projects and the significant milestones they have achieved.
This summary was written by Emily Nicholls.