Tetrate, the company bringing Istio and Envoy to the enterprise, has introduced Tetrate Enterprise Envoy Gateway (TEG) for tech preview. TEG is Tetrate’s enterprise-grade, fully supported offering of open source Envoy Gateway, a streamlined API tailored for gateway use cases.
TEG extends the features of Envoy Gateway, the cloud native service gateway, with an emphasis on ease-of-use, a quick path to getting started and easy operations once you’re in production. These additional features include cross-cluster service discovery and load balancing, OpenID Connect (OIDC), OAuth2, Web Application Firewall (WAF) and rate limiting out of the box along with Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 compliance, ingress-of-ingresses to enable safe application team self-serve and more.
TEG, as a fully supported distribution of 100% upstream Envoy Gateway with additional tooling and support, includes the following:
- Cross-cluster service discovery and load balancing
- OIDC, OAuth2, WAF and rate limiting out of the box
- Support for Ingress-of-Ingresses deployments
- “Per app team” deployments with Tier 1 and Tier 2 logic
- Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) alerting and upgrade management
- Simplified lifecycle management
- FIPS 140-2 compliant Envoy
- Turn-key installation and upgrade
- 24/7 support with service level agreements (SLAs).
TEG is designed for app teams who want to replace or augment existing load balancers, are looking for an “API Gateway Lite” solution, or who need to take advantage of TEG’s capabilities for Ingress-of-Ingresses or multi-cluster applications.
Availability and Pricing
A technical preview of TEG is currently available. TEG will be generally available in Q1 for direct purchase from Tetrate and for self-service purchase in the AWS Marketplace. TEG software and supporting service is $5K per cluster per year, with unlimited gateways in each cluster.