As “stay at home” and “work from home” mandates are being put across the world amidst the Covid-19 pandemic, Microsoft sees usage increases in services that support these scenarios—including Microsoft Teams, Windows Virtual Desktop, and Power BI.
- The company has registered a 775 percent increase of its cloud services in regions that have enforced social distancing or shelter in place orders.
- In a recent blog post, Microsoft also said that the company has seen a very significant spike in Teams usage.
- It now boasts of more than 44 million daily users. “Those users generated over 900 million meeting and calling minutes on Teams daily in a single week,” the post added.
- Windows Virtual Desktop usage has grown more than three times. In a week, Government use of public Power BI to share COVID-19 dashboards with citizens also surged by 42 percent.
- To tackle the surge, Microsoft has placed limits on free offers to prioritize capacity for existing customers. “We also have limits on certain resources for new subscriptions. These are ‘soft’ quota limits, and customers can raise support requests to increase these limits. “